If imitation is the greatest form of flattery, then you might want to consider complimenting the winners of the 2008 EPpy Awards by imitating them. At the very least, you’ll want to check out what some of these folks are doing online.
The EPpys are awarded by Editor & Publisher to honor superior online content. Feel free to view them all, but we suggest that you pay particular attention to some of the top local TV winners. The following were finalists for Best Overall Local TV Web Site:
And take a look at some of the terrific enterprise reporting at some of the smaller news organizations honored. (These are folks that probably don’t have a tremendous amount of resources, yet they manage to do award-winning work.)
- Diabetes: The Invisible Epidemic, PalmBeachPost.com (the winner in this category)
- Coincidence or Cluster: The McCullom Lake Brain Cancer Lawsuits, The Northwest Herald
- Broken Trust, HeraldTribune.com
- Indy 911 Calls, Indianapolis Star Media Group
- Teachers and Sex, www.eastvalleytribune.com
Take a look at how the winners listed above leverage the power of multimedia to make their stories more complete and more compelling than they could have been in a single medium.